KEEP READING...



I began reading very early, out of interest. By the time I was in high school, my reading buddies and I were competing to see who finished a novel first. I have mentioned some of these in an earlier blog.

Being an avid reader, it’s not surprising that I’m passionate about teaching reading. The benefits of reading, especially in language learning, are very real and measurable. It’s like learning while having fun. Through reading, you acquire remarkable and rapid increase in your knowledge of vocabulary, grammatical rules and semantics. I have seen this happen over and over again with ESL students.

Leisure reading is a win-win activity for everyone!

I enjoy reading so much that, unbelievable as it may seem, as a student I always found time to read a novel for leisure, even during examination periods. I didn't feel guilty because I would have first done my academic reading. Reading a novel was a form of relaxation for me (and continues to be one). For some people, that would be inadvisable. We just need to know ourselves. When you understand what works for you, then you will make wise choices.

My friend in Hawaii wrote me last week and mentioned that she's reading Alexander McCall's The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency. It is a very interesting story. The TV series actually did justice to the book. Jill Scott was a natural in her role. It's always a great pleasure to talk about books!

Everyone, regardless of age, needs to cultivate a reading culture and we do know why.

As writers, we also need to read continuously for reasons very well known.

So, how many books are you challenging yourself to complete? At what duration?

Have fun reading!

Have a great week too!


*Photo: Public Library, BC


Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment