OUR VIRTUAL WORLD

Five days ago, I blogged about the pros and cons of social media. A disadvantage of sorts made both of us decide to deactivate our Facebook accounts. One of my writer friends sent me an email calling me a brave woman for doing that. It made me laugh. For us, going off Facebook was easy because we knew what was important to us: US.

Today, I stumbled across a post where someone was asking why Whoopi Goldberg dated only white men. I don't know if that's still the case and why the question. Another blog cited statistics that 50% of Black Women in Canada are married interracially and that black women white men marriages have the lowest divorce rate among all couples in the United States. You know how it is with links and threads: they go on and on and before you realize it, you've spent hours doing what's not on your "To Do List". I know! I'm guilty too! So I read a different blog where responders made references to the Baroness of Austria, Robert Deniro, Dirk Nowzitki, the Prince of Liechtenstein, the creator of 'South Park' to illustrate their points. The list is endless.

The above reinforced my belief that information obtainable online is limitless. It brought to mind a reading text I gave my students when I was English Professor at the University of Botswana. The article titled, "Virtual Classroom" envisioned what tertiary education would be like in the future. It depicted a scenario where human instructors would be replaced by technology. Students would utilize e-Learning and other areas of educational technology to study. They would interact with other students anywhere on earth via video conferencing. Information would be exchanged electronically and soft copy documents would replace hard copies. It was graphic and seemed palpable. It was a text my students enjoyed dissecting on paper, in groups and individually. There's no doubt that we're getting there. How complete the displacement of human professors would be, remains to be seen.

Be that as it may, the text shares a similarity with our world. Today we live in a virtual world where corporations, firms, organizations, educational institutions, hospitals conduct many of their businesses electronically.

Technology is indeed a gift to the world. The more its use expands, the more we understand some of the Bible prophesies that had previously seemed far-fetched to the human mind.

Hope your week is going fine :). Enjoy the rest of your day!

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment